Excellence is a continuous process, and our journey is just getting started

For more than 100 years and five generations, Gregory Industries has built a proud legacy of excellence in galvanizing and roll form steel manufacturing. Gregory is more than our family name. It is a promise of responsible manufacturing and reliable customer service. Find out how we have grown to become the industry leader we are today, staying true to our history every step of the way.

First Generation - 1800

Thomas Gregory was one of the million Irish people who immigrated to the U.S. to escape the Great Potato Famine. 

1880

He settled in Brooklyn, New York, and began working at Lefferts Galvanizing Works, where he ascended to the position of superintendent. 

1896

Thomas Gregory founded his own after-fabrication business, The Thomas Gregory Galvanizing Works (TGGW).

1896-1911

The business prospered under Thomas Gregory’s leadership. 

Second Generation - 1911

After their father's death, Thomas M. Gregory and William Gregory assumed ongoing management of the company.

1913

Thomas M. Gregory established the Hanlon and Gregory Galvanizing Company, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 

1920s

The company opened and closed a manufacturing operation in Buffalo, New York.

1927

TGGW upgraded to a state-of-the-art facility in Maspeth, New York.

1930s

The Gregorys purchased a captive galvanizing operation in Newark, New Jersey, and converted it into a custom after-fabrication galvanizing plant.

Late 1930s

Four of the male Gregory children died, leaving George Gregory as Thomas Gregory’s only male survivor.

1939

World War II began, creating a significant need for galvanized products.

Early 1940s

The Maspeth and Newark plants flourished under George Gregory’s leadership, and the Hanlon and Gregory Galvanizing Company became the largest fabrication galvanizing facility in the country. 

Third Generation - 1947

After he was honorably discharged from the U.S. Army, T. Raymond Gregory joined the family galvanizing company, working his way up through all areas of the business.

1955

T. Raymond Gregory moved his family to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to assess the viability of Hanlon Gregory Galvanizing Company, which he determined should be liquidated.  

1956

He returned to work for TGGW in Maspeth, New York, believing the potential for galvanizing growth was better in the Midwest.

1957

T. Raymond Gregory formed Gregory Galvanizing and Metal Processing, headquartered in Canton, Ohio. 

1959

When George Gregory passed away, T. Raymond Gregory took over operations at the company’s various locations. 

1962

The operation in Canton, Ohio, installed a 52-foot galvanizing kettle, the largest in the industry. 

1966

The newly formed Gregory Bridge Co. and Gregory Fabricating Co. produced the first hot-dipped galvanized bridge in the U.S.

Late 1960s

As the company expanded, a second galvanizing kettle became necessary. A new wing was created to house a 16-foot kettle in a facility referred to as Plant II, and the 52-foot galvanizing kettle in Plant I was expanded. 

1967

The company organized Gregory Galvanizing and Metal Processing of Pennsylvania in Hazelton, a wholly owned subsidiary with an adjoining utility pole manufacturing plant. 

Late 1960s and Early 1970s

Reduced demand for galvanizing resulted in the liquidation of TGGW, Gregory Bridge Co., Gregory Fabricating Co. and Gregory Galvanizing and Metal Processing of Pennsylvania. 

Late 1970s

The facility in Canton, Ohio, continued to make steady profit, and the company began pursuing new areas of growth, including the production of C-cross section galvanized fence framework for U.S. Steel’s Cyclone Fence Unit. 

1979

U.S. Steel gradually transferred much of its forming equipment to Gregory, culminating in the development of the new entity, Gregory Roll Form Co., which was jointly owned by Zinc Tool and Die Co.  

1981

Zinc Toll and Die Co. sold their interests to Gregory Roll Form Co., and C-Post fence framework became a signature product offering for the company. 

1982

T. Raymond Gregory built a continuous flux galvanizing operation at the plant in Canton, Ohio, as a cost-effective alternative to after fabrication. Through specialized galvanizing capabilities, Gregory was able to achieve heavy zinc thicknesses not previously attainable through continuous galvanizing methods. 

1984

Disaster struck when a major fire destroyed the entire continuous galvanizing facility, leaving only the roll forming equipment to be salvaged.

1985

After acquiring a 155,000-square-foot industrial building in Canton, Ohio, T. Raymond Gregory created a second-generation galvanizing line.

1986

Steel invoicing opened the door to additional profit opportunities which would eventually grow to become a significant part of the business. 

Late 1980s

The company began exploring the possibility of guardrail galvanizing, requiring the widening of the galvanizing equipment and trade acceptance of continuous galvanizing.

1992

Test site evaluations qualified continuously galvanized guardrails for use in government jobs as well as private sector applications, and Gregory grew to become a leading guardrail supplier. 

Fourth Generation - 1971

After his honorable discharge from the U.S. Army, T. Stephen Gregory joined the family business at the Hazelton plant.  

1973

When the Hazelton facility closed, T. Stephen Gregory returned to Canton, Ohio, the only remaining Gregory facility.

1980

He advanced through the company with increasing levels of responsibility and was elected to the board of directors and named vice president in charge of operations.  

1987

T. Stephen Gregory continued to progress in the various areas of the company management and was promoted to company president while continuing in the role of board chairman.  

Late 1990s

The company’s continuous galvanizing operations continued to grow, and Gregory became a significant supplier of highway, fence and eventually channel strut products.  

1997

There was greater opportunity for entering the strut market as a full line supplier rather than a galvanized steel supplier, so Gregory developed its own line of strut channel, G-STRUT®. 

2000

In consideration of the company’s continued growth and diversification, its name was formally changed to Gregory Industries.  

2005

The after-fabrication galvanizing plant became too costly to compete with other regional galvanizers and the company decided to sell the division.  

2011

Gregory Industries opened a new downsized after-fabrication galvanizing facility to keep up with the growing need for steel coil processing and guardrail post galvanizing.

Fifth Generation - 1999

T. Matthew Gregory joined Gregory Industries after receiving a bachelor’s degree in management from Wittenberg University. His first assignment was at the 13th Street plant in Canton, Ohio, where he first worked in inside sales and then operations scheduling. 

2001

T. Matthew Gregory was promoted to the position of superintendent at the after-fabrication galvanizing facility and then became plant manager. 

2005

After receiving his master’s degree from Akron University, T. Matthew Gregory was reassigned to the 13th Street offices and promoted to the position of vice president of operations. 

2012

T. Matthew Gregory took on the role of executive vice president and assumed the responsibility for designing a state-of-the-art automated fabricating and galvanizing facility for the highway division.

2018

Gregory Industries acquired its longtime customer Mid-Ohio Tubing, expanding the company’s roll forming capabilities to include steel tubing and metal building components. 

2019

T. Matthew Gregory was named chief executive officer of Gregory Industries. 

2020

Gregory Industries formalized its core business divisions, Gregory Highway, Gregory Strut, Gregory Fence and Gregory Tube. 

PDF icon

Want To Learn More?

Read the complete story, The Gregory
Family and its Galvanizing History.  

Download